Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 10 - Key West, FL (Feb 6, 2011)

Day 10 – Key West, FL - Sunday, Feb 6, 2011

This is our first full day in Key West so like yesterday there is no set agenda, so we checked out dive shops in the morning. I will be diving with Key West Divers (http://www.divekeywest.com/), as they seam to have there act together and have a very well stocked dive store, Karen already bought something and put it on my tab.

In the afternoon, we spent some sun time on Smathers Beach which is about 2km from the condo, nice sand, but dirty water and the bottom has 3” of slit or mud, not that attractive for swimming.

Around 5pm, I decided with 90% of Key West watching the super ball on TV it would be a good time to explore Key West on the motorcycle so out of the trailer and I am off!! I am riding Key West style, which is t-shirt, shorts, and skate shoes, except I am wearing a helmet and gloves. I have seen some funny stuff on bikes down here, the most common footwear is sandals on a big Harley and of course no helmet. Now the people on scooters is a whole different story, sandals, shorts and talking on a cell phone while dragging a foot on the ground, remember is said flip flops – this is so Florida.

Heading downtown I am taking Roosevelt Drive along the South Shore of the key. I wanted a picture of the concrete monument of the Southern most point in the continental United States. Got the photo, see below. Also traveled down Duval Street, which is a must do on a cycle, this is a place to be seen.

Ken and Karen in Key West, FL

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you will find lots to do on Key West. I've been there 3 times, riding twice, so I can appreciate what it's like. Where are you staying??? Make sure you do the Hemmingway house tour. And a night at Irish Kevins is not to be missed, but be sure to go on a night when Kevin himself is performing. Stay in touch,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete